} -->

Saturday 29 March 2014

Ultimate Collection of Spelling Activities


This past month I finally completed a project I have wanted to do for a few years. I wanted to make a written copy of all my spelling activities and more then that I wanted something I could display and easily show my students what the daily activity was without having to go through it all and write an example. Less explanation time, more learning time.

The spelling program that I use (available here:  http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Complete-Spelling-Package-1171467) is based on route memorisation of the words and is not phonetically based. As such I wanted a complete spelling activities list that doesn't involve finding patterns etc that seem make up 50% of most other spelling activity lists. 


I managed to record 90 spelling activities and I grouped them into the following headings:Quick and easy
Literacy based
Numeracy based
Requiring materials
IPad/computer based
This makes picking a spelling activity for the day a simple task.


I believe in making spelling quick and fun. Who wouldn't get sick of repeating the same 10 activities over and over again. 90 spelling activities should get you through almost half the year before you have to repeat any. Most of the activities can be done in an exercise book to save you photocopying costs. I usually remind students to stick to the lines and use one page a week, ruling around completed spelling activities. 

I have made this complete list of spelling activities available for purchase here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Ultimate-Collection-of-Spelling-Activities-Ideal-for-Smart-Board-1171455



This package contains a PDF file for you to be able to print out the activities as cards for easy reference. Print 4 to a page to save paper or A4 for display. It also contains a PowerPoint presentation for putting up on the Smartboard for easy reference by your students during spelling time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment