} -->

Sunday 11 January 2015

Best Website for Lower School Educators!


My favourite site for lower school resources is TeachThis.

This Australian website has some incredible resources on it, all downloadable for a simple yearly subscription fee (at the time of posting this it was 49.95, the same price it was when I first signed up 5 years ago). 

It has posters for display, games, word wall cards, book covers. worksheets and the list goes on and on. I love them because they are bright, colourful and motivating. Not to mention most resources are available in a variety of fonts.

Another thing I really like about this site is that you can view the preview of all their downloads before you sign up. I like to go through and make sure there are enough things on a site like this that I want to download before I sign up. A quick scroll through just one of their categories and I was signing up.

In a year three class I don't find myself using as many of their resources as I did when I was in a grade one class. But it is still worth it's value in the middle school. 

There is one huge downside to TeachThis....be prepared to go through reams of paper and stacks of ink!

My top 5 favourite resources on TeachThis are: 
+++++ CVC games 
Great for teaching students to sound out and identify initial, middle and final sounds. A variety of types of activities. Some are even self correcting.
I use this poster to introduce rainbow facts and then have this available to students during consolidating activities.
+++++ Money Game
I don't often play this as its intended to be played. I use the shops with class money. I printed multiples of the shops and then cut them up so that students could 'buy' something and take something with them (they give them back at the end of the game). There are so many leveling options for this game and various challenges you can give students.
Absolutely fantastic for getting students to write descriptively about something. 
+++++ Story Wheels
I use these for interesting whole class story writing lessons and for students who just can't come up with ideas during other writing activities.

============ I truly love this site. I was not paid or asked to do this post :-) ==============

No comments:

Post a Comment